Fairfax County Adult High School 2022-2023 Attendance Policy
Regular attendance is necessary for maximum student achievement in school. Fairfax County Adult High School (FCAHS) requires that learners be punctual and maintain regular attendance. Our learners are expected to communicate with the school when they will be absent for any reason. Additionally, all work assigned on those days must be completed.
FCAHS Attendance Procedures
Explanation of Absences
Learners should notify the school prior to, or at the start of, the school day when they will be absent.
- Report an absence by calling 703-658-1212. Leave a message with name, phone number, student ID, and the reason for being absent, or email @email
- If any documentation is required to excuse an absence (i.e., medical excuse), the documentation should be emailed to the above email address.
According to Regulation 2234.10, examples of an excused absence may include, but are not limited to, the following reasons:
- Illness (including mental health and substance use illness)
- Legal obligations
- Religious observances
- Other reasons deemed acceptable by the administrator.
Unexcused absence means an absence where the student misses (i) the school day in its entirety and (ii) no reason was received by school personnel within 3 days of the absence.
- Five (5) Unexcused Absences: Learner will be contacted by a counselor to create an attendance plan to succeed in school.
- Ten (10) Unexcused Absences: Learner will meet with counselor review attendance plan.
- Fifteen (15) Absences - Mandatory Withdrawal: Learner shall be withdrawn after 15 consecutive days of absence regardless of excused or unexcused absences. A learner who is withdrawn from FCAHS for any reason should return all school-issued items as soon as possible.
Learners may return to school at any time if no disciplinary procedures prevent it.
- Meeting with counselor: Withdrawn learner will meet with their counselor as soon as possible for an exit interview, and before re-enrolling.
- Schedule a registration appointment with the registrar at 703-658-2736 or @email
WMATA/Metro Bus Passes
Limited metro bus passes are available on a first-come first- served basis for learners who meet the following criteria.
Passes will be disabled if the learner falls out of compliance.
- Learner is not able to access service through Fairfax Connector/CUE or the learner is above the age of eligibility for a Fairfax Connector/CUE pass.
- Learner emails @email each time they are absent.
- Learner does not miss more than 20% of classes in a two week period.
- Student must be spending 60 minutes per week on Lexia (or another approved literacy program).